EDGE – Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution
Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution also known as Enhanced GPRS (EGPRS), is a digital mobile phone technology that allows improved data transmission rates as compared to original GPRS. It is build on top of GSM networks as a cost-effective network upgrade for most GSM operators.
Data Speed – The theoretical maximum speed provided by EDGE is 473 kbps, but it is typically limited to 70 to 130 kbps in order to conserve spectrum resources. It gives GSM the capacity to handle services for the third generation of mobile telephony.
The objective of EDGE technology is :-
- To increase data transmission rates
- To facilitate new applications
- Backward compatibility with existing GSM Network
- Increased capacity for mobile use
- To Improve Spectrum efficiency