JPEG or JPG – Joint Photographic Experts Group
Joint Photographic Experts Group is a standard method of compressing graphic images. It is a lossy compression technique which means, some information is lost while compression. File size can be reduced upto 5% of the actual size with the loss of some details.
It is mostly used for storing and sending photographs on the Internet, due to its great compression technique. It is also referred to its file extension, i.e. JPG. JPEG an JPG both refers to the same thing.
Some facts about JPEG :
- It supports a maximum image size of 65535×65535
- It was developed by the Joint Photographic Experts Group
- File extensions of Joint Photographic Experts Group are : .jpeg, .jpg, .jfif, .jpe, .jif
- JPEG file can be converted to many formats
- It compresses an image into a stream of bytes and decompressed back into an image.