MCB - Miniature Circuit Breaker
Miniature Circuit Breaker is an automatically-operated electrical switch designed to protect electrical appliances as well as human beings from electrical fault. Miniature Circuit Breaker breaks the circuit as soon as it detects any kind of fault in the circuit. It does this by detecting the excess amount of current flow in the circuit.
It is the replacement of safety fuses which were used earlier. As opposed to old fuse in which the complete broken line have to be replaced, an MCB just needs to be reset to resume normal operation. Recent advancements in circuit breaker technology has increased breaker performance and protection.
Advantages of MCB over Fuse
- Miniature Circuit Breaker breaks the electrical circuit more reliably during abnormal condition as compared to fuse.
- To resume the supply, you just need to push the knob of MCB. But with fuse, the complete line needs to be changed.
- MCB provides a better interface with the help of knob as compared to fuse in which the complete handle needs to be taken out from the base.
- MCB is more sensitive to current as compared to fuse.
- Handling MCB is more safer than fuse.