PWD – Public Works Department
The Public Works Department is the central authority that looks into all kinds of public sector works in India. It is responsible for construction and maintenance of Buildings, Roads, Bridges etc.
There is a separate PWD in each state which has geographically distributed Divisions, Sub-Divisions and Sections. Like there is a separate PWD for Kerala, Mizoram, Punjab, Rajasthan, Arunachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and more.
The departments in all the states has almost same responsibilities, which include :
- Design and Construction of all public works undertaken by Government.
- Design and Development of Roads
- Safety and facilities provided on Roads
- Development and restructuring of government buildings
- Restructuring of Forts and Museum.